The main lexical focus of this worksheet is describing urban environment and the countryside.
This worksheet can be used as a hand-out for individual or group work to increase Intermediate/Upper- Intermediate students’ awareness of the related vocabulary and enhance their reading comprehension skills.
The lexis is contextualized in a text about tourist spots in Ukraine, therefore it contains bilingual vocabulary activities and prompts which makes it perfect for Russian- and Ukrainian-speaking students of English.
Photocopy the worksheets so that there are enough for each student in your class.
1. Ask students to match the verbs in the right column with their Russian equivalents. Students are allowed to look up new words in their dictionaries.
2. Ask students to piece the verbs on to the gaps in the text below. The verbs are rubricated thus they are easy to locate in the text. Encourage students’ discussion in pairs as they do so. 3. Now ask the students to read the text round. They are supposed to check their answers while the text is being read.
4. In the second part of the task, ask students to find some English adjectives and adverbs in the text. Here, these word classes are highlighted in blue to ease the matching activity. When students have finished, ask them to share their answers with a partner.
5. Ask students to read the replacements loud. Encourage discussion.
6. In the last part of the task students are supposed to match nouns from the text (highlighted in purple) with their Russian equivalents. When students have finished, ask them to share their answers with a partner.